There are many helpful people at the terminal in Rio. I have no idea how, but Elaine chose the right people to speak to and guide us to our next point in the adventure. We had to go to the ticket transfer counter to get the next flight towards our destination. I don't know where he came from but I found us escorted by a man that took over the movement of our backage. We had three large suitcases (each weighing 49.5 lbs) and two carry on bags. Up until that point I was very guarded over who touched our baggage and where it went. I was so tired that I didn't care anymore how things went. The man loaded all of our baggage onto a cart and he could have taken it anywhere as far as I was concerned at that point.
Elaine had to get us new tickets that would get us to Victoria. I had to smile and entertain our attendant. Smile and entertain? Yeah I am sure I was very entertaining. I was very proud of the shirt I was wearing with the words "Projeto Tamar" on it. Our assistant noted it and asked me if I spoke Portuguese. I responded with the only words I know when someone asks me that. I said "Um puquinho" These words always strike up a conversation. This time the man continued to ask if I spoke Spanish. My response was "Un poco." I tried to say that I speak English in Portuguese. It came out something like this, "Fala Ingles." Now that might sound like an intelligent response but I really should have said "Falo Ingles." But my response led the attendant to tell me that he spoke some English and he got to practice his foreign language skills.
At this point though Elaine was becoming very intent and aggravated as we had to make choices. We had three choices. Our first was to stay in Rio until 3 pm and wait for the next flight to Victoria. Our other two choices were to fly to different cities and catch a flight to Victoria. She told me of these choices and I don't recall what she said exactly. What I heard was basically sit and wait somewhere. I was looking for adventure and that choice was to take a taxicab to the other airport in Rio. If I was traveling alone, I would not have chosen the adventurous sightseeing option. Putting my confidence in Elaine and our trusty assistant, we chose the taxicab tour through Rio De Janeiro on the busiest highway I ever saw. On these roads it is truly bumper to bumper traffic three lanes across at speeds that leave no room for error. I can throw my "two second rule" out the window and forget the brakes as well. To survive on this expressway one must approach it like they are playing a game of chess. Think two moves ahead, don't stop and get out of the way of oncoming motorcycles that have the right of way between the lanes of traffic. Motorcyclists have the right of way unless you want to sacrifice a mirror to the angry kick by one of them as our driver so explained.
We had a very kind taxi driver or let me say a very wise taxi driver. It took us a little time to get a taxicab where the driver was willing to take us to the other side of the city. Our fine assistant spent a little time trying to convince a couple of drivers to take us. His first choice was an operator with an SUV type cab. It had plenty of room in it for our nearly 200 pounds of luggage. But the operator chose to take the people behind us with much more luggage. The second choice was a cab with very little room for luggage and the operator was looking for a much simpler job. Our fine assistant was a bit aggressive in trying to find the right taxicab. He finally did find the right one. The man had a good eye for tourists with money and was very accommodating all the way to the next airport. He deserved what I thought was a good tip. I handed the man 20 Reals. (Reais/R$) As time goes on I am learning that 20 Reais does not go very far and perhaps the tip I gave him was cheap.
We arrived at Santos Dumont Airport at 8:15 am. Our next flight was supposed to leave at 9:30 am. It gave us a little time to relax. Of course I say that our next flight was supposed to leave at 9:30 am. But of course I jinxed our flight early on. When we were sitting in the terminal at JFK airport I thought I would be funny. (You know me). I walked from one side of the terminal to the other to see if our plane arrived at the gate. Upon returning to Elaine I said to her "the plane has a flat tire." This didn't help our situation in the Santos Dumont Airport in Rio De Janeiro. The plane we were supposed to take to Victoria actually did have a flat tire. Oh so surreal. You have got to be kidding me. They told us that it only takes 8 minutes to change a tire. Well it took 8 minutes to give us all new tickets for boarding and 30 minutes to tell us we going to board a different airplane. Elaine and I had to laugh at this point. We really were exhausted. It had been at least 24 hours now with very little sleep and whole lot of frustration.
I believe we arrived Victoria at about 1:30 pm. We were supposed to be there around 8:30 am. Elaine's mother and sister were there waiting for us. It was a very small airport. There are no terminal gates at this airport. We disembarked the plane right on the taxi-way for the planes.
It didn't take us long to get our luggage onto the cart and out to the car and hit the road. Hit the road we did. Elaine's sister is practicing for the Indy 500 and has been showing us how good she has become. If she could find a few sponsors I think she could be the next Danica Patrick. The speed limit between Victoria and Espirito Santo seems to be about 60 Kilometers per hour on average. This would seem to be understandable because the roads are in very poor condition. There are many curves and many potholes. Speed bumps are strategically placed everywhere. I think our "Danica" has memorized the location of all of them and knows precisely when to slow down, what angle to approach and just how fast she can go over them. I have a very good view of the dashboard from the back seat of the car and I could easily observe that our chauffer never travels at a rate of less than 100 kph. If the signs say 40 kph then I would expect that we will be traveling at at rate of 120 kph. But I do have respect for Adriana and so do the motorcyclists. In Rio the cars get out of the way of the many motorcyclists that control the road. In Espirito Santo the motorcyclists get out of Adriana's way.
I don't think we were on the road for more than 10 minutes and Elaine said to me that we have to stop to get some beer. I thought we were buying some beer for the party. We stopped at a gas station to fill the car. Which by the way costs R$165.00 to do. Convert that to U.S. dollars and that is about the equivalent of, let's just say $100.00. And so at $2.91 per gallon in the U.S. we should not complain.
Elaine and I went into the store which I would compare to a 7-Eleven and purchased 3 beers and 1 Coke. The beer here is called Skol. I have my limits as to how much beer I would drink back home. Here in Espirito Santo, I have a much tighter limit as to how much beer I drink and it isn't because the beer is stronger. No far from it. The beer is much weaker and I might compare it to drinking water. That would be unfair and unrealistic because I have had beer that tastes similar to the Skol beer in Brasil. It was a fine, well aged brew that was unintentionally aged for several years and still had the label on it called Milwaukee's Best.
I don't recall how long it took us to get to the lake house from Victoria. It was supposed to be a two hour drive. It was probably much less. We went from an incredibly large city with traffic everywhere to a secluded place secured by a series of gated fences along the road paved in sand and dirt.
We were greeted by Elaine's father and nephew at the lake house. They would have been at the airport to join us but the little car had all it could take to bring the four of us and 175 pounds of luggage to them. It was finally time to relax.
Our first objective was to go jump into the lake. Yes after 26 hours in the same clothes it doesn't matter what you wear next. I gladly put on my Speedo. After all if Elaine's nephew and father can do it, so can I. It only took a few minor adjustments with Elaine's help and I was fitting in the best I could.
We went swimming with both of Elaine's parents, her sister and her nephew. We had a continuous flow of open cans of beer compliments of Elaine's mother. She provided us with a fresh snack that one would marginally compare to pork rinds found in the snack isle at Wegman's. I say marginally compare because these fried treats were a tasty delight. The commercial product could never compare.
I think Elaine could have stayed in the lake all night. But at some point we found ourselves sitting on the veranda as her mother was cooking (?) in the kitchen and her father was cooking steak, chicken, chicken hearts and sausage on the grill. We spent the evening just talking and eating.
Oh yeah and down here the mosquitos love New Yorkers. OMG...I don't recall ever getting bit so much in such a short time frame. I was tethered to a cell phone that needed re-charging as I was calling Mark. I could not move from the space I was standing just off the edge of the veranda. In five minutes I had more bites than I could count with one that swelled up to the size of a dime. I had at that point just remembered the one thing we forgot. Elaine bought 2 cans of OFF prior to our trip and I left them in the garage back home. LOL
I found myself very tired and took refuge in the hammock that was on the veranda. I fell asleep and missed quite a bit of the conversations that were going on into the evening. Elaine's parents took Giovanni (Elaine's nephew) home as Elaine, Adriana and I finally went to bed. Thus ending our first day in Brasil

4 comments:
I don't want to hear about Elaine 'adjusting' you in your speedo hahaha :P Glad you got there safe and that you can relax now though.
It's Saturday and we haven't relaxed yet. We went to a birthday party for Elaine's father. We got home at 3am. :)
We are going back to the lake house today. I have a new skimpier Speedo to wear too. :)
Oh dear god I don't wanna know. lol
Skimpier.... now that I have THAT image burned in my brain.... thanks.
Post a Comment